The world is an incredible and special place. Every person and creature is unique enough that you can never find anyone else just like you. We’re not just talking about personalities and experiences either since everyone can look different too!
It all comes down to genetics
Even siblings in the same family, you can have siblings with different shades of hair, different colored eyes, and different skin tones even if they’re born within a year or two!
The people on this list have genetic make-ups that give them incredible appearances that you would never expect to see in real life. Enjoy reading about these one-of-a-kind humans.
2) Cleft chin
3) Ocular albinism
“Ocular albinism, a rare genetic condition, affects only the eyes, causing pigment to disappear from the iris. When we see children from a primarily dark-eyed family having blue or green eyes, they are most likely ocular albinos,” says Brightside.
4) Gorgeous white streak
5) Mixed twins
6) Half-faced freckles
Dermatologist Dr. Sonia Batra told another woman who had the same condition:
“It’s a very specific type of birth mark which started when you were an embryo, And the pigment cells in your neural crest, some of them actually developed a mutation or a change and as the cells migrated over, it actually effects only half the body. ‘That’s why there’s such a sharp cut off.”
7) Sudden white eyelashes
8) Strange genetic coincidence?
9) Double jointed
10) One dark streak
11) More missing fingers
12) Immobile thumb
13) Cryptic veins
14) Large pinky
15) Extra toes
16) Like mother like daughter
17) Extra fingers
A redditor wrote that:
“My dad has 6 fingers on each hand. He uses 2 fingers to flip someone off,”
The Reddit user that shared this photo explains that Polydactyly runs in this family and both the dad and son were born with 6 fingers and 6 toes, although the son had his removed when he was young.
18) A thumb from each parentIn what we can only call a literal soup mix of genetics, this person had the thumb of their mother and a different thumb resembling their fathers. Usually thumbs and genetic make-up come from one of the two parents, but this child is made up with both.
19) One pinky and one thumbHere’s another person that uses a sense of humor when it comes to their genetics. “I was born ready for this,” they said. This person was born with Amniotic Band Syndrome in which they only have a pinky and a thumb with the rest of their fingers barely formed.
20) A scarred eyeHere’s a case where a person was born with macular pucker. It’s a scar tissue that formed in the eyes’ macula which is found in the retina. This condition can cause blurred or distorted vision since this part of the eye gives us sharp vision. It occurs when the vitreous of the eye pulls away from the retina.
21) Symmetrical hair whorlsA hair whorl is a patch of hair that grows in a circular direction. This young boy happens to have two of them located symmetrically on the back of his head. There has been research to see if hair whorl direction is correlated with handedness, but nothing conclusive has been found.
22) Dual-colored eyesHere’s another case of sectoral heterochromia. This person has an eye that is brown and gray. It can be inherited, caused by chimerism, or injury.
23) ‘Webbed toes’Syndactyly, commonly known as webbed-toes, can actually occur in both fingers and toes. The condition is common in animals but more rare in humans. Technically, 1 in 2,500 births will have some sort of syndactyly. These two women celebrated their common trait with a funny tattoo.
24) ‘Tentacles’ under the tongueThis might look like something out of a sci-fi film but it’s very real. These are called fimbriated folds of the tongue or plica frimbriata. This happens when the folds under the tongue have growths or skin tags. They aren’t dangerous, however, they can become stuck in between teeth.
25) 6 toes and 4 toesHere are two co-workers that discovered that one of them had six toes while the other only had four! Having six toes is actually a very common birth defect and is usually harmless, although they can usually be easily removed if needed.
26) Five fingers no thumb“The person in the photo above has all five functioning fingers except for one peculiarity – there’s no thumb on the hand. This malformation is referred to as triphalangeal thumb where the thumb has three phalanges instead of two. It can be treated with reconstructive surgery by reshaping the finger so that it would operate like a thumb. It is estimated that approximately one in 25,000 children is born with the condition,” says Bored Panda.
27) Missing bridgeThis young boy was born with a depressed, or seemingly missing, bridge of this nose. This is usually caused by congenital syndromes such as cleidocranial dysplasia, children with neurodevelopmental delay, achondroplasia, Conradi-Hünermann-Happle syndrome, Cornelia de Lange syndrome, osteogenesis imperfecta and Klippel-Feil syndrome.
28) Pruned handsMost of us get pruney or wrinkly hands and feet after being submerged in water for a period of time. The theory of why this happens is that back when we were gatherers, it was easier to pick up vegetation in wet conditions and helped prevent us from slipping. This person with extra wrinkly hands might have ancestors that lived in these types of conditions.
29) Bruised fingersThis isn’t necessarily a genetic trait, but it sure is interesting. They had internally bruised their finger and when held up to the light, you could see the pooling of blood in their finger. Wondering why you can’t see bones? It’s because the skin and flesh diffuse the light. Much like looking through a pane of frosted glass.
30) Palm lineAll of us have lines on our palms. Lots of times they’re used to ‘read fortunes.’ This person, however, has a hard crease along the center of their palm.
31) Albinism“Albinism is a genetic condition where people are born without the usual pigment (color) in their bodies. Their bodies aren’t able to make a normal amount of melanin, the chemical that is responsible for eye, skin, and hair color. So most people with albinism have very pale skin, hair, and eyes,” says Kids Health.
32) VitiligoVitiligo is a condition in which there is a lack of pigment in one area or a spread out area of the body. This black women has vitiligo over a large portion of her body giving her a very unique and beautiful look.
33) Two different pupilsThis man was born with a condition called anisocoria. It means that one of his pupils fluctuates and functions normally, while the other remains in a fixed position.
34) Another case of vitiligoThis man’s vitiligo has affected only one half of his body while the other has normal pigment. It not only affects the skin but also the hair as well.
35) Bionic armThis is another person that doesn’t necessarily have unique genetics but she certainly has a unique arm. Her arm is bionic and she’s able to charge it wherever she goes. The future is here!
36) Baby EdamThis is Baby Edam obviously no longer a baby. He was born with the ‘darkest skin in the world.’ He’s now six years old and still has his deep, dark-colored skin. When he was first born, his photo went viral and caught the attention of people around the world.
37) Ultra-long legsThis is bodybuilder and model Ia Östergren. Her legs are very disproportionate to the rest of her body giving her a very unique look. She’s 5’8″ and her legs are 3’5″.
38) Gorgeous albinismThis little girl’s name is Ava Clarke. She’s a model and actress and has caught the attention of people around the world for her unique and beautiful look which is caused by albinism.
39) Circulation irregularitiesThis man’s one finger reacts very interestingly to extreme temperatures. When his hands get cold, his one finger turns to a ghostly pale color due to a lack of circulation.
40) Lots of frecklesThis is Hamad Jaman and his freckles have given him a career in modeling because of his unique look. You can see why–he’s absolutely stunning to look at!
41) More gorgeous dark skinBaby Edam was once thought to have the darkest skin in the world, but model Khoudia Diop is also known to have some of the darkest skin. Her nickname is the “Melanin Goddess.”
42) Golden cat eyesHere’s a very unique and rare condition called ‘cat eye syndrome’ which gives the pupils an abnormal shape that look very much like cats’ eyes which is a chromosomal disorder. This beautiful little boy is from Nepal.
43) Two immobile thumbsMuch like the case shown earlier, here’s another woman with, not one, but two thumbs that have the condition called trigger finger. This makes both of her thumbs unable to bend. Notice the lack of crease lines.