Trending
5-year-old gets baby sister out of burning house then acts quickly to save everyone else
After Noah woke up and saw his room in flames, he bravely sprung into action to rescue his little sister, followed by 7 other family members.
Irene Markianou
06.16.22

Imagine being a kindergarten child and smelling smoke in your house or seeing flames around? Wouldn’t that frighten you? It definitely would and that’s why parents shouldn’t wait until such an emergency happens in order to teach their children about fire safety.

Unsplash - Matt C
Source:
Unsplash - Matt C

Even if our children seem too young to understand our advice about a house fire, we should still give it to them and repeat it regularly so that they know what to do if something so scary happens to them.

And it seems that a 5-year-old boy’s parents had done a good job on that, since little Noah saved his sister and the family dog, and eventually the whole family of eight when their Georgia house caught on fire.

In February 2020, the little boy and his 2-year-old sister were sleeping, as were all the other family members, when a fire started in their bedroom.

The boy woke up due to the smell of the smoke and he immediately tried to think how he and his sister would escape the burning house.

YouTube - CBS Mornings
Source:
YouTube - CBS Mornings

When he realized that their only exit was the window, he took his little sister and their dog and got them out of the house through the window.

“Noah woke to flames in his room. He quickly grabbed up his two year old sister, Lilly, opened the bedroom window, [and] climbed out the window,” Noah’s grandfather, David wrote in the GoFundMe page they created.

YouTube - CBS Mornings
Source:
YouTube - CBS Mornings

After he made sure his sister and their dog were fine, he ran to his uncle, Josh, who lived right next to them to let him know there was a fire.

YouTube - CBS Mornings
Source:
YouTube - CBS Mornings

This is how the remaining members were notified about the fire and, actually, this is how they were practically saved.

Luckily, no family member suffered severe injuries, although they were taken to hospital.

“Noah and 4 other family members were treated for minor burns and smoke inhalation,” Bartow County Fire & Emergency Services wrote in a Facebook post.

YouTube - CBS Mornings
Source:
YouTube - CBS Mornings

As Bartow County Fire Department Chief Dwayne Jamison told CBS News, “his quick and brave acts saved the entire family”.

The little boy was recognized as an Honorary Bartow County Firefighter and they presented him with a Lifesaving Award, an award that is usually kept for professional rescuers.

But, honestly, this little guy who went above and beyond to save his family was definitely worth it.

YouTube - CBS Mornings
Source:
YouTube - CBS Mornings

Noah, as his family explained, he had always wanted to be a superhero, but after the incident, he changed his mind and just wanted to be a police officer.

In any case, experts remind us that fire alarms and smoke detectors should regularly be checked and homeowners should make sure they work properly.

Unsplash - Jalen Hueser
Source:
Unsplash - Jalen Hueser

Parents should plan escape routes and share them with their children, while they need to repeat the plan on a regular basis.

Also, opening windows and using escape ladders should also be practiced with the children.

YouTube - CBS Mornings
Source:
YouTube - CBS Mornings

Make sure you watch the video below to find out more details about this happy-ending story!

Please SHARE this with your friends and family.

By Irene Markianou
hi@sbly.com
Irene Markianou is a contributor at SBLY Media.
Advertisement
Advertisement