Have you ever seen things of this world that due to their huge size seem totally unearthly, like taken out of a Science Fiction book?
Have you ever heard of the medical term “Megalophobia” which corresponds to the fear of anything that is larger than what we consider normal-size?
Well, here you will find 45 larger than life wonders that will leave you open-mouthed!
1) Fully grown wombat
2) Size comparison of the Titantic vs a modern day cruise ship
3) “Fully inflated horse lungs”
I hope the horse is okay! Those gray spots at the bottom don’t look so good.
“His parents took him to live at a farm upstate, little buddy. He’s just fine.”
4) “Quetzalcoatlus northropi model next to a 1.8m man. The largest known flying animal ever exists.”
I can’t even pronounce the name of this big bird, but dayum that’s huge! It could have gobbled us up and regurgitated our bits and pieces for their babies in one fell swoop.
“This literally looks like one of the creatures from Avatar. I really wish I could just have a glimpse of the prehistoric period, if only for a moment lol.”
“Only for a moment. ‘Oh, look! That’s so cool! Wait’ll I tell my-‘ CHOMP!”
5) Size of a blue whale’s heart (human is there for scale)
“I wonder how much unhealthy stuff the whale has to eat to clog those arteries.”
6) Eagle talon vs. Human hand
“Who knew they were that huge. Then again they can pick up deer so idk.”
7) Ever wondered how big the sun really is?
“Who knew earth was such a choking hazard…”
8) Giant African land snail
“I would prefer to believe that the lady is 8 inches tall.”
9) A billion is a lot more than you think.
10) Giant leatherback sea turtle
Just so you know, the leatherback is the largest of all turtles, weighing in at a hefty 500 to 2000 pounds.
11) Just your average monster mining truck
“It’s like a rolling apt building. Would make a nice roaming base in a post apocalyptic desert.”
12) Look at how big these road signs are compared to people.
13) “Salt water croc is an absolute unit.”
“Ha, this is at a place called Crocosaurus Cove in Darwin in the Northern Territory, Australia. It’s pretty expensive to get in the ‘cage of death’, some $170 AUD and I didn’t do it personally. Honestly it feels little bit tacky, but I would totally recommend it if you’re passing through Darwin and wanna see some seriously terrifyingly massive crocs.”
14) “That’s a Damn Big Moose!!”
“As a Canadian, nope that’s a rather moose sized moose.”
15) “Let’s shake on it!”
16) “Wolf size compared to Coyotes”
17) “780lb wild boar skull compared to adult wolf.”
“I have been fearing the wrong woodland creature.”
18) “The size of this 400,000 Volt underground cable compared to my hand.”
“Touch your tongue to it.”
“Tastes like pennies.”
19) “Size of the moon compared to USA”
“My middle school science teacher once said that it would take the astronauts only mere hours to a day to completely walk around the moon. I’m ashamed to have been a part of her class now.”
20) “In case you wondered, here’s the (size) difference between $10,000 in 1’s, and 100’s.”
21) “Bear claws next to human hand”
22) “The Great Manta of 1933”
23) Size of the Rosetta comet compared to the city of Los Angeles
“They keep trying to get stoned, space is helping out.”
24) Yao Ming standing next to a 7-foot tall dude
“I don’t want to brag but I was there. I’m the one standing between them.”
25) A “small” wind turbine blade
“This photo shows one of the three 135-ft blades of a turbine before installation. Although the blades of wind turbines appear to move quite slowly to the human eye, blade tips often move at speeds faster than 100 mph.”
26) “2-tonne blocks for days…”
If you’re planning to visit the Great Pyramid of Giza anytime soon, you might want to bring some extra sneakers with you. You’ll wear out the first pair before you get halfway up!
“The ancient Egyptians called the Great Pyramid “Ikhet“, meaning the “Glorious Light” for good reason. It’s been calculated, that the pyramid with its original limestone casing stones, acted like gigantic mirrors that reflected light so powerful that it was like a shining star, visible from the moon.”
27) A gorilla’s hand compared to a human hand.
“Is someone in charge of trimming those nails? Because that’s a manicurist that deserves some hazard pay.”
28) Meet General Sherman
29) “One of the props that were used for the close-ups in the LOTR movies.”
“At first glance, I thought it was some kind of magnifying device that clearly wasn’t working as his hands were the same size (close up). Then I realised I was a moron.”
30) Traffic light
“I love the effect of walking up to one of these. I know how big they are and it’s still hard to wrap my mind around it. Each light is bigger around than my head. It’s really cool.”
31) “The real size of Michelangelo’s David”
“So basically this is the exact opposite of seeing the Mona Lisa in person.”
32) The doors to the U.S. National Archives in Washington, D.C.
“When I work at a humble bank but my manager is a powerful ogre warlock.”
33) “I never knew what absolute U N I T S Clydesdales are until I saw this picture.”
“I rode a Clydesdale named Rambo. Rambo didn’t give a shit that I was on his back. Everyone else in the group of horses went left and Rambo (and I) went right so Rambo could eat some nice grass and some tasty flowers. The people on regular sized horse came and got Rambo (and rescued me) about 2 hours later. I couldn’t jump off Rambo because I was worried I’d break my ankle. I’m still not sure Rambo even knew I was there at all.”
34) Japanese sea crab
If you’re wondering how to boil this sucker, here’s the short and simple answer from @Bind_Moggled:
“In the jacuzzi.”
And just how are you supposed to get to all that good meat? Go to Home Depot.
“Have to use a tree-trimmer as the shell cracker.”
35) Aircraft carrier anchor chain locker
“No matter how long I look at this picture, I can’t make my brain stop seeing a regular sized chain and tiny people.”
36) Shaq standing next to a wax figure of Robert Wadlow, the tallest man in recorded history.
Noone doubted Shaq was one of the biggest and tallest basketball players in history, however seeing him next to “the tallest man” in the world, really puts everything into a different perspective.
37) Underwater Artistic Installation
Imagine visiting an artistic installation underwater, swimming next to these gigantic statues. They look a bit scary, don’t they? Here is “The Silent Evolution” by Jason de Caires Taylor, part of the Museo Subacuático de Arte, an underwater museum off the waters of Cancun Mexico.
38) Redwood Forest
Imagine walking in a forest among these giant trees, you would really feel how great and powerful nature is and how small and insignificant we are.
39) A Whale Skull
It’s so amazing how little we are compared to other natural beings in the world. It really makes you realize why we were at the bottom of the food chain when dinosaurs existed!
40) The Actual Size of Indonesia